We’ve been told by many children over the years that their party was the best because of the bouncy castle! That got us wondering who & when bouncy castles were invented! Here’s what we found out:
- There is an ongoing “disagreement” between the U.S. and England about who invented the first bouncy castle – our research shows that in 1959 John Scurlock of Shreveport, Louisiana experimented with inflatable covers for tennis courts. He noticed his employees jumping on the covers. University students in England about 1961 designed a bouncy castle for a fundraising event.
- The first inflatable rental company was started by Frances Scurlock in 1968 and in 1976, Frances & John opened the first custom facility for the production & rental of the inflatables
- The first inflatable was called a “Space Pillow” as it was an open top mattress with no sides, in 1967 a pressurized inflatable top was added.
- In 1974 columns were added to release the heat created by the fans which inflated the space pillow & top.
- There are now inflatable slides, obstacle courses, interactive inflatable games which all stemmed from the original invention.
- Bouncy castles have a variety of names including moon bounce, astrojump, moonwalk, jolly jump and spacewalk. They’ve also been referred to as CIT (Closed Inflatable Trampolines)
- Today bouncy castles are found at birthday parties, festivals, church fairs, malls, school fairs, picnics, fundraisers and Christmas parties!
We thought you’d also enjoy a bit of Par-T-Perfect history:
- Par-T-Perfect first opened its doors in 1988 with full service, theme parties
- The first Par-T-Perfect bouncy castle was brought from England in 1991
- By 2006 Par-T-Perfect became the only Canadian coast to coast children’s event company with locations from Victoria to P.E.I
- In 2007 Par-T-Perfect became the only kid’s Party and event company with locations in both U.S. and Canada.
Whether you’re planning a birthday party for 8 or an event for many, a bouncy castle will make your next party a huge success! Visit our website at www.par-t-perfect.com for a location near you!